Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2018

Be Strong and Courageous: A Poem

A poem based on Joshua 1:1-9.

“Be strong and courageous”.  So easy to say.
Like “You take care now” or “Have a nice day”.
“Be strong and courageous”.  It sounds good in theory,
But it’s not so easy when you’re scared or you’re weary.
When the nerves take over, or your voice starts to shake
It’s easy to wonder, “Have I got what it takes?”

“Be strong and courageous”.  That’s what Joshua heard
When he succeeded Moses.  Such simple words.
But they were the last things Joshua thought he could be.
Moses was the greatest, but Joshua?  Who’s he?
Why would anyone think he could be lead the nation?
He had no lineage, tradition, or station.
Joshua was just this guy, you see.
No one knew what kind of leader he’d be.

No one but God, and God controls all.
He told Joshua “There’s nothing to worry about, nothing at all.
Remember who I am?  The Lord, your God.
With me you’ll control every piece of sod.
You’ll lead the people, and I’ll lead you,
And you’ll control every land you view.
When I say something, be sure to take heed,
And in everything you do, you’re sure to succeed.
You don’t have to be scared, just get on with the show,
For I will be with you wherever you go.”

God said that to Joshua, and he says it to you
And he says it to me and to other folks, too.
“Be strong and courageous, there’s no need to fear.
I am the Lord your God, and I’m here.
I know what I’m asking of you may seem hard,
But I will be with you, and I’ll be your guard.

Don’t get discouraged, and don’t get scared.
After all, you know how Joshua fared.
I was with him, and I’ll be with you,
And no one can defeat the things that I do.
You have what it takes, that’s why you were chosen.
So don’t be afraid, don’t just dip your toes in,
Jump in with both feet.  I’ve got you covered.
There’s much more to you than you’ve ever discovered.
So just like with Joshua, get on with the show,
For I will be with you wherever you go.”

God can see greatness in every person
So don’t be hesitant, scared, or uncertain.
Just do what God says and go where God leads,
And in God’s eyes you’ll be sure to succeed.
God does not define success the way humans do,
With fame or fortune or receiving ado.
Trust in God.  That’s all that’s needed.
If we do that, then no matter what, we’ve succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment