Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's A Privilege

            I conducted a funeral yesterday.  It was the first one I’ve had since coming to the Wheatland Parish.  I’m pretty sure it won’t be the last.

            I always have a hard time explaining how I feel about conducting funerals.  On the one hand, it would be wonderful if I never had to do it, because that would mean that no one would have to go through losing their loved ones.  On the other hand, I find conducting funerals, and all the things associated with doing so, to be one of the most satisfying aspects of ministry.

            Somehow, it feels like a privilege to conduct a funeral.  You get the opportunity to be present with people at one of the hardest and most stressful times in their lives.  You get the opportunity to help those people through that time:  to provide comfort, to provide help, to provide love, to provide assurance that they are not alone.  When I’m able to be there for people when a loved one dies, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I’m doing exactly what God wants me to do.

            It’s also a privilege because, as a pastor, you get to find out so many interesting things about the people whose funerals you conduct.  There is so much more to the life of anyone than most of us ever know, unless we get to know someone very, very well.  Through conducting funerals, I’ve learned that every human life is absolutely and totally unique.  Quite literally, every person whose funeral I’ve ever done has done something special that most of us never knew about, something that most of us will never have the chance to do.  Conducting funerals has taught me how valuable each person is.  It has been a privilege to conduct the funeral of each one of these unique, valuable, special people.

            Conducting funerals can also lead to some wonderful relationships.  When you’re there for someone at such a vulnerable time, you can become quite close.  It can open the door to all kinds of wonderful conversations, and to some important friendships.  It can also provide the opportunity to encourage people in their faith and to bring them into a closer relationship with God and with their church.

            I am grateful to God that I have been given the privilege of conducting funerals.  Would I prefer to never have to do another one?  Of course I would.  That’s not the way the world works, though.  As long as the world is what it is, and there are funerals to conduct, I hope the Lord will continue to give me the privilege of being there for people who need someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment