Search This Blog

Thursday, October 8, 2020

God and Viruses

We know about all the major holidays:  Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc.  And we know there are some lesser, but still important, holidays, too:  Labor Day, Memorial Day, Presidents’ Day, and so forth.  And there are other “unofficial” holidays, like Valentine’s Day, where nobody gets the day off but we all know that it’s supposed to be a special day.

But if you know where to look on the internet, you find that every day has some sort of holiday attached to it.  It might be something important, like VFW day, a day to celebrate Veterans of Foreign Wars.  Or, it might be something silly, like National Saxophone Day.  But every day has something.  And last Saturday, it was National Virus Appreciation Day.

I looked at that, and it was hard to believe.  Why would we appreciate a virus?  Viruses make you sick.  And in some cases, like the corona virus, they can make you really sick or even kill you.  Why in the world would we appreciate viruses?  And who would ever have the idea to create a Virus Appreciation Day?

Well, I don’t really know the answers.  But as I thought about it, I remembered this:  God is all-powerful.  And God is all-knowing and all-wise.  And God is always in control of everything.  

So, God knows that there are viruses on earth.  And God allows them to exist.  And God allows them to make us sick, and even kill us sometimes.

Why?  I don’t know.  I don’t know why God would allow things like the corona virus to exist.  But I always remember what it says in Romans 8:28.  God can work all things for the good of those who love Him.

All things.  Not just the things we like.  Not just the things we approve of.  All things.  Bad things.  Terrible things.  All things.

If we believe that, then we have to believe that God is going to use even the corona virus for the good of those who love Him.  How will God do that?  I don’t know.  When will God do that?  I don’t know.  What’s going to be the way God chooses to do that?  I don’t know.  But I know God will do it.  God has promised us that.  And God always keeps God’s promises.

I still don’t appreciate viruses.  But I appreciate God.  And I know that somehow, in some way, at the right time, God is going to act.  All of this stuff we’re going through right now will, some day, be shown to have been for the ultimate good of those who love God.  And we are all going to be amazed at the wisdom and the power and the love of God.

So hang in there.  God is still in control.  And God is going to work this out for our good.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment