Search This Blog

Friday, June 12, 2020

Go to God Anyway


I wrote last week about how God is the greatest listener in the world.  We can tell God anything, and God will always listen.  But what do we do when we feel like we need to go to God, but we don’t know what to say?

Have you ever had that happen?  You have something bothering you.  Or, maybe you don’t have anything specific that’s bothering you, but you just feel like, somehow, something’s not right.  You want to go to God with your problem, but you’re not really sure what your problem actually is.  Or, maybe you have an idea, but you don’t know how to put it into words.  What do you do?

Go to God anyway.  We don’t have to know what to say to go to God.  We don’t even have to say anything to go to God.  The Apostle Paul wrote, in Romans 8:26, that when we don’t know what to pray, the Holy Spirit will intercede on our behalf.  The Holy Spirit will know how we feel and what’s going on even when all we can do is utter “groanings too deep for words.”

That’s another of the wonderful things about God.  We can go to God and say, “God, something’s wrong, but I don’t know what it is.  Please help me anyway.”  We can go to God and say, “God, I know something’s missing in my life.  Please give it to me, or please help me find it.”  We can go to God and say, “God, things are going well.  I should be happy, but somehow I’m not.  Please help me feel your presence in my life.”  We can even say, “God, I don’t have anything in particular that I’m asking for, but I just feel like I need to be with you.  Can I just be with you for a while?”

Any of those situations, and many others, are perfectly acceptable to God.  You see, God is our friend.  God loves us.  And when we’re with a friend, when we’re with someone who loves us and cares about us, a lot of times we don’t have to say anything.  Sometimes we just need to be with them.  And sometimes, they know what’s wrong without us even saying a word.  And when that friend is God, well, God always knows what’s wrong, without us saying anything.  And God will always be there for us.

These are troubled times.  We’re going through a lot of stuff.  It can seem, sometimes, like everything is falling apart.  And when things are falling apart, we need to go to God.  We need to go to God even when we don’t know what to say.  God will be there for us.  God will understand.  And if we really open ourselves us to God, we’ll feel God’s love.

When things are going well, we should still go to God, of course.  But when they’re not, and we don’t know what to say, we can still go to God.  God will be there.  God will understand.  And God will give us love.

You can always go to God.  And I hope you know that we are always here for you, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment