Search This Blog

Friday, May 15, 2020

Mother's Day


I hope that everyone had a good Mother’s Day.  This Mother’s Day, of course, was different from a lot of them.  Many of us were not able to see our mothers, and many mothers were not able to see their kids or grandkids.  That’s especially true for those mothers who are older and are living in nursing homes or assisted living facilities.  Most of those places are not allowing visitors, even close family members, because of concerns over the coronavirus.

I understand that.  I know why they’re doing it.  But still, it stinks.  It’s not anyone’s fault that it stinks, necessarily, but it still does.  It’s no fun to have family separated at any time, but on a special day like this, it’s even worse.  

In my case, I haven’t seen my Mom since late February.  I did not see her then in anticipation of the coronavirus or anything else--it just so happened that I went down there just before all the lockdowns took place.  I know I could have it worse--lots of people do.  There are a lot of people who have not seen their mothers for a lot longer.  And, of course, there are a lot of people whose mothers have passed on, and who won’t see them again until they have a reunion in heaven.  There are others whose mothers have dementia, and are not able to even talk to them on the telephone.  I can at least talk to Mom every day, and I do.  The people at her nursing home were even nice enough to arrange a video chat for us once.

I know it could be worse--but it still stinks.  There’s just no other way to say it.  Mom will turn ninety-five next month.  She’s in remarkably good health for ninety-five, but still, ninety-five is ninety-five.  There’s no way to know how many years she’ll have left.  And it feels like part of whatever time she does have left is being taken away.

Again, I understand it.  I’m not blaming anyone.  It just is what it is.  We have to deal with it because, well, what choice do we have, really?  We can get mad, we can get sad, we can yell and scream and cry, but it does not change anything.  All we can do is find a way to cope with the situation as it is, because, well, it is.  We make the best of it, because what good is it going to do us to make the worst of it?  

I called Mom later this morning to wish her a happy Mother’s Day.  I wish I could’ve given her a hug, and I’m sure she wishes that, too.  But she’s doing the best she can to deal with the situation.  She’s actually dealing with it remarkably well.  Sometimes I think maybe she’s dealing with it better than I am.  She’s seen a lot, of course--she grew up in the Depression, went through World War II, had her father pass away at a young age, had her spouse die, and all sorts of other things.  I suppose the more you go through, the better you can handle life.  And she has an incredibly strong faith, and I’m sure that helps her, too.

Anyway, I hope you had a good Mother’s Day.  If you’re a Mom, I hope you’re able to see your kids.  If you cannot, I hope you’ll be able to talk to them or do a video chat, and I hope you’ll be able to see them again soon.  And I hope, whatever your situation is, that you have as strong a faith as my Mom has.  If you do, that will carry you through this Mother’s Day and every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment