Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

A Poem About Greatness

When I was a kid I used to dream
About becoming a famous person
An actor, a comic, a dancer, a singer,
An athlete (although that was less certain)

I’d dream of being on the Tonight Show
Being interviewed by Johnny Carson
Telling him about my latest show
I was sure I would be a star soon

As I got older my dreams made some changes
Just as they usually do
But I still had hopes of being great at something
Though what wasn’t always in view

And I got older still and I understood
That greatness would not be my fate
I might get good, or at least half-way decent
But I would certainly never be great

But then I looked at what Jesus said
And my thoughts about greatness changed
They no longer were about fortune or fame
My ideas became rearranged

Jesus said greatness is found in service
Of putting others before yourself
The way to be first is to put yourself last
That’s where we find the true wealth

I’m not saying I’ve done that yet
I still have a long way to go
But I’ve made a start, and I sometimes succeed
And maybe I can make that start grow

I’ll keep working on it, and I might get better
I don’t know if I’ll ever be best
But I’ll ask for God’s help and I’ll do what I can

And trust God to take care of the rest

No comments:

Post a Comment