Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

God's Got This

The message from the Sunday night service in the Gettysburg United Methodist church.  The Bible verses used are Habakkuk 1:1-4 and 2:1-4.


We don’t very often read from the book of Habakkuk.  In fact, we don’t even really know how to pronounce it.  I’ve heard Habak’kuk and I’ve heard Ha’bakkuk.  When I was in seminary, I asked one of my professors what the correct pronunciation was, and he said we really don’t know.  So there you are.
            But it’s too bad that we don’t read from Habakkuk more.  I think what Habakkuk says is something we can all relate to.  Listen to what he says:  “How long, Lord, must I call for help, and you do not listen?  Or cry out to you...but you do not save?  Why do you make me look at injustice?  Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?”
            Have you ever felt like that?  Have you ever felt like you’ve been praying to God, asking God for help, over and over again, and God does not seem to be listening?  Like you’ve been crying out to God, and God does not seem to be doing anything?
            If you have, you know it’s a pretty bad feeling.  It’s a lonely feeling.  It’s a feeling of abandonment.  Because a lot of the time, when we’re crying out to God like that, it’s because God’s our last hope.  We’ve turned to God because we have nowhere else to turn and no one else to turn to.  We’re in a situation we cannot handle.  We’re being overwhelmed by everything.  Things are going bad, and then things start going worse.  We know our only chance is to ask God for help.
            And so we do.  And...nothing happens.  And so we ask again.  And...nothing still happens.  We keep asking, over and over again, and nothing keeps happening.  
            We don’t understand it.  We cannot figure it out.  It’s not so much that we lose faith in God--we know God is still there.  We would not keep asking God for help if we did not know that.  But we can no longer feel God’s presence.  It does not feel like God is listening to our prayers.  It feels like there’s a barrier between us and God, a barrier that we cannot get through.  We know God is there, but it just feels like God is not paying any attention to us any more.
            Do you know what causes that feeling?  Well, it’s not because God is not there.  It’s not because God does not love us.  It’s not because God is not paying attention to us.  Here’s what I think it is.   Or at least, here’s what it’s been when this feeling has happened to me.
            I’m in a situation.  And I know I need God to help me out of it.  And I ask God to help me out of it.  But here’s what causes this feeling that God is not there:  when I ask God for help, I don’t just say, “God, please help me.”  Instead, I try to tell God how to help me and when to help me.  I say, “God, here’s what I need you to do to get me out of this, and here’s when I want you to do it.”
            What does that mean?  It means I’m really not trusting in God’s power and God’s wisdom and God’s timing.  It also means I’m not concerned about doing God’s will.  I’m not saying, “Thy will be done,” I’m saying, “My will be done.”  I’m telling God what to do, rather than simply asking God for help and then trusting that God will give me what I need when I need it.
            My experience has been that God does not respond well to that.  Now, don’t get me wrong.  I don’t think God is mad at me when I do that.  But I think God is probably disappointed in me.  God is disappointed for a couple of reasons.  One, think of the arrogance involved in that.  Think of how arrogant that is of me, to think that I need to tell God what to do.  To think that I can tell God what to do.  To think that I should tell God what to do.  To think that I, a mere human being, a flawed sinful human being, is trying to tell the almighty, all-powerful, perfect and righteous and holy God what to do.  I don’t think a person could get any more arrogant than that.
            And the other reason is that this shows such a lack of trust in God.  That’s related to arrogance, but it’s not the same thing.  It shows that I don’t think I can trust God to help me.  It shows that I don’t think I can trust God to do what’s best for me.  It shows that I don’t think I can trust that God will know what to do and how to do it when to do it.  I have to tell that to God, because I cannot trust God to love me enough to do what’s best for me.
            I think Habakkuk had some of those same feelings that you and I have.  In the part of Chapter One of Habakkuk that we did not read, Habakkuk goes on and on about all the terrible things that are going on, and he keeps asking God, why don’t you do something?  Why don’t you take care of this?  How long are you going to let this go on?
            But then, Habakkuk says this:  “I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what God will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint.”
            Note the change of attitude in that sentence.  Habakkuk has been going on and on about how he does not understand why God is not answering him, why God is ignoring him.  But then, he says, I’m going to keep watch.  I’m going to listen for what God might have to say to me.
            See, a lot of times, when we think God is ignoring us, God is not.  God is answering us.  We just don’t hear God voice, because God is not saying what we want to hear.  We don’t hear God’s answer because it’s not the answer we want God to give us.  God is not ignoring us.  In fact, what’s happened is that we’ve been ignoring God, because God is not doing things our way.
            And so, we need to reach the point Habakkuk reached.  We need to pull back.  We need to stop trying to tell God what to say and what to do.  Instead, we need to just keep watch.  We need to be quiet.  Instead of expecting God to listen to what we’re saying, we need to keep silent and listen to what God may be saying to us.
            And when Habakkuk finally does that, God gives him an answer.  Listen to what God says:
Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets...The revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false.  Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
            God is basically telling Habakkuk “Don’t worry.  I got this.”  You can write this down.  I have it handled.  Things are going to happen.  I am going to take care of things.  You can count on me.
            So, did that satisfy Habakkuk?  Yes, it did.  But notice that there’s a lot here that God did not tell Habakkuk, stuff that he probably would’ve liked to know.  God does not tell Habakkuk how God’s going to handle this.  God does not say what things are going to happen.  God does not say when they’re going to happen.  God does not say how they’re going to happen.  God just tells Habakkuk, trust me.  I got this.  I am going to take care of things.  I will do it in My way and in My time.  Just be patient.  Don’t worry.  Just trust me, and you’ll see.  And it looks like that’s all Habakkuk needed to hear.
            And maybe, sometimes, that’s all you and I need to hear, too.  Sometimes, we just need that reassurance.  We need to hear God tell us “Don’t worry.  I got this.”  We don’t necessarily need to know all the details.  We don’t necessarily need to know what’s going to happen or when or how.  We just need to know that God has heard us and that God has responded.
            But we’re not going to know that as long as we keep insisting that God do things our way.  We’re only going to know it if we do what Habakkuk did.  Be still.  Be quiet.  Watch.  Listen.  Hear what God has to say to us.  Look for evidence that God is active.  Be patient.  And trust that God’s got this.  That God will take care of things, and God will do that in God’s way and in God’s time.
            We all have times when the doubts come in.  We all have times when it gets hard to trust God.  God understands that.  But God is sad about it.  Because God wants us to trust Him.  God wants us to know that, no matter what happens, He will always be there for us.  We never have to be alone, and we never have to face things alone.  God will be there for us.  And God will always take care of things for us.  God’s got this.
            God has promised to hear our prayers.  God has promised to never leave us or forsake us.  It’s fine to take our worries and fears and problems to God.  But after we do, let’s be quiet.  Let’s be still.  And let’s listen for what God might be saying to us.  Because God’s got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment