Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2019

A Christ-Centered Life

This is the message given in the United Methodist churches of the Wheatland Parish on Sunday morning, June 30, 2019.  The Bible verses used are Luke 9:51-62.


            What is the absolute number one thing in your life?
            Now don’t say “God” just because you’re in church and it’s what you’re supposed to say.  Actually think about it.  Be honest with yourself.  I’m not going to make you say it out loud.  But really think about it.  What is the absolute number one thing in your life?
            Is it your spouse?  Is it your kids or grandkids?  Is it your friends?  Is it your job?  Is it your land, especially if you’re a farmer?  Is it a material possession?  Is it something you really like to do?  What is it?
            Now, when I said don’t say “God” just because you’re in church, I did not mean to criticize you or to imply that your faith in God is not sincere.  I know each of you cares about God--that’s why you’re here on a Sunday morning when there are a lot of other places you could be.  But for most of us, including me, it’s not all that clear-cut that God is the number one thing in our lives.  God is important.  In fact, God is very important.  But for most of us--again, including me--God is one of many things that are important to us.  
And while we might think that God is number one, and we might hope that God is number one, I think the only way we can know for sure is if we’re put to the test.  It’s only if we have to choose between God and something else that’s very important to us that we can truly know whether God is the most important.  And most of us will probably not be put to that test.  And I don’t know about you, but I’m kind of happy that I probably won’t be put to that test, because I don’t know whether I’d pass.
But this is what Jesus was talking about in our Bible reading for today.  People keep coming up to Jesus and saying they want to follow him.  Saying that they will follow him.  They’ll follow him no matter what.  Buuuut….  But first let me do this.  First let me do that.  First let me do something else.  And after that, I’ll be right back here and follow you, Jesus.  Yes sirree, no doubt about it.  I’ll follow you completely.  After I take care of some other things first.
Jesus rejects that.  He does not accept the people who say they’ll follow him “but”.  He’s nice about it.  He does not get mad at them.  He does not say they’re going to hell or anything like that.  But Jesus does not accept them, either.  Jesus knows an excuse when he hears one.  And Jesus knows that what he’s hearing from these people is excuses.
Let’s look at some of the things people say.  The first one says, “I will follow you wherever you go.”  And Jesus says oh, really?  You say that like you’ll be gone for a specific time and you’ll go to a specific place.  That’s not how it works.  I’m going to keep moving.  The only specific place I’m going to go to is the cross.  And I know you’re not going to follow me there.
The next one says, “Lord, please let me go and bury my father.”  A reasonable request, right?  But you see, from what I’ve read, this was a figure of speech.  The man’s father was not dead.  What he was saying was, I need to stay with my family now.  Just wait until someday, when my father is gone, and then I’ll be free to follow you.  And Jesus says that’s not gonna work.  If you want to follow me, you need to follow me now, not wait until a far off someday.
The third one says, “First let me go back and say good-bye to my family.”  Again, sounds reasonable.  But Jesus says, look, you can’t move forward with me if you’re looking backward at someone else.  Even your family.  You either follow me, and follow me now, or you don’t.  There’s no middle ground.
Jesus says it’s not good enough to make him one priority out of many.  It’s not even good enough to make him the top priority.  Jesus says our entire life needs to be centered around following him.  Every aspect of it.  No excuses.  No “buts”.  No “let me do this first”.  Our entire life needs to be centered around following Jesus.
That’s a tough standard.  Jesus is asking a lot.  Is he asking too much?  I don’t know.  Can you honestly say that your entire life is centered around following Jesus?  Maybe you can.  But I don’t think I can.  Some of the time, maybe, but not all the time.  There are too many other things that I allow to get in the way.  They’re not bad things, necessarily.  Sometimes they’re even good things.  But they’re not necessarily Christ-centered things, either.
What does it even mean for us to have our entire life centered around following Jesus?  Is it even possible?  A lot of us have jobs.  If we don’t have jobs, we do things as volunteers.  Or we have family responsibilities.  How can we do all the things that life requires us to do every day and still have our entire lives centered around Jesus?
Well, here’s what I think.  First of all, I don’t think Jesus requires everyone to quit their jobs and start wandering around the country sharing the gospel the way he did.  After all, if everyone did that, there’d be no one to grow the food or to process it or to transport it.  There’d be nobody to keep the lights on.  There’d be no one to make the clothes or to pick up the trash or to do all the other things that are necessarily to keep a society functioning.  So that’s not what we’re talking about here.
What I think we’re talking about, really, is an attitude.  When you go to do your job, do you think about how doing your job can be a way of serving God?  When you’re with your family, do you think about how taking care of your family can be a way of serving God?  When you do whatever it is that you do to relax, do you think about how doing that can be a way of serving God?  As you go about your daily life, doing all the things we do every day, do you think about how doing those things can be a way of serving God?
I think that’s what Jesus is talking about here.  Everything we do, every aspect of our lives, should have to do with serving God in some way.  Even when we’re taking a little down time, even when we’re just having fun and relaxing, there should still somehow be a way in which that serves God.
That’s still a tough standard.  That’s still asking a lot of us.  And I don’t think I can honestly say I do that, either.  But here’s something to remember.
The twelve disciples were the people closest to Jesus when he was on earth, right?  They traveled with him for about three years.  If there was ever anyone who followed Jesus, it was them, right?
And yet, how many times did Jesus have to straighten them out?  How many times did they make mistakes?  How many times did they misunderstand?  We have one right in our reading for today.  They go to a Samaritan village and the people don’t welcome them.  And James and John, the two disciples who were probably closest to Jesus, ask if Jesus will let them call fire down from heaven to destroy those people.
And Jesus says, “What in the world are you guys talking about?  Have you not learned anything from your time with me?  Are you dumb as a box of rocks or what?”
Well, the Bible does not actually say that.  It just says that Jesus rebuked the disciples.  But if Jesus did not say that, I suspect he thought it.  At that time, the disciples were not interested in following Jesus.  They were interested in getting revenge on these Samaritans.  These people, who they really did not like anyway just because they were Samaritans, had rejected them, and they wanted to make them pay.
There are so many times where stuff like this happened.  There’s the time in Matthew Sixteen where Jesus is trying to tell the disciples that he’s going to be killed, and Peter says, hey, Jesus don’t talk like that.  And Jesus tells Peter that he does not understand because his mind is on human concerns rather than heavenly concerns.
That, right there, is the problem we have.  Our minds are on human concerns.  But the good news is that Jesus does not condemn Peter.  He sounds a little upset with him at the moment--if you remember, he says to Peter “Get behind me, Satan”.  It’s hard to think of a worse name Jesus could call you than to call you Satan.  But still, Jesus does not send Peter away.  He knows that Peter is doing the best he can.  He’s doing his best to follow Jesus.  He’s doing his best to keep Jesus at the center of his life.  
Peter fails sometimes, because he’s human.  That’s why our minds fall back on human concerns so much--because we’re human.  But Jesus forgives Peter.  Jesus even forgives Peter when Peter denies knowing Jesus.  That’s when Peter had the ultimate human concern, right?  He was concerned with saving his neck, even at the expense of denying knowing the Savior.  But Jesus even forgave Peter for that.
Jesus forgave Peter for those times when he failed to keep Jesus at the center of his life, because Jesus knew what was in Peter’s heart.  And Jesus will forgive us for those times when we fail to keep Jesus at the center of our lives, because Jesus knows what’s in our hearts.  Jesus knows we’re not perfect and we cannot be.  If our hearts are focused on keeping Jesus at the center of our lives, Jesus will forgive us when we fail.  
But that does not give us an excuse.  Because if our hearts are not focused on keeping Jesus at the center of our lives, Jesus will know that, too.  We still have to do our best.  We don’t have to beat ourselves up when we fail, but we should not make excuses for ourselves, either.  When we don’t keep Jesus at the center of our lives, we need to confess that to God and ask for forgiveness.  And then we need to try again.  And again and again, always trying to keep Jesus at the center of our lives.
Jesus gave us a tough standard.  And Jesus knows it’s a tough standard.  But Jesus does not accept a number two position in our lives.  He tells us it’s no good to say that we’ll follow him but….  Our lives need to be centered around Jesus Christ, not just sometimes, but all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment