Search This Blog

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Love Without Judgment

This is the message given in the United Methodist churches of the Wheatland Parish on Sunday, March 31, 2019.  The Bible verses used are Matthew 7:1-12.


            Have you ever been in a situation where it felt like everyone around you was judging you?
            It’s not a very pleasant feeling, is it?  Even if you cannot think of anything you’ve done wrong, even if you’re convinced that you’ve done the best you could, it’s still a really uncomfortable feeling.  You feel like you always have to be careful, like you always have to be looking over your shoulder.  Sometimes you feel like you’re afraid to do anything or even say anything, because it feels like the people around you are just waiting, even hoping for the chance to catch you in a mistake and nail you for it.
            And so, as we talk about what we can give up for Lent, today we’re going to talk about giving up judgment.  And we’re going to talk about replacing it with kindness and love.
            Now, I want to make clear that in saying we should give up judgment, I’m not saying that there should be no standards of right and wrong.  I think the Bible makes clear that there are.  Yes, Jesus said, “Do not judge, or you, too, will be judged.”  But that statement is just one verse of a larger speech that Jesus made, what we now call the Sermon on the Mount.
In that sermon, Jesus tackles all kinds of subjects.  He talks about anger and forgiveness.  He talks about adultery and lust.  He talks about divorce.  He talks about revenge and the need to love even our enemies.  He talks about humility.  He talks about prayer.  He talks about greed.  In all of those things, Jesus clearly states “this is what’s right, and this is what’s wrong”.  Those standards clearly exist, and Jesus is not at all afraid to say so.  And in all of these things, Jesus’ point is the same:  this is how you should live you and I should live our lives.  If we’re going to call ourselves followers of Jesus, then this is what we should do.  This is how we should live.
And that’s why Jesus said, “Do not judge, or you, too, will be judged.”  And it’s why he followed it up with this:  “For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”  And it’s why he then went on to talk about how we cannot try to remove a speck of sawdust from someone else’s eye when we have a plank in our own eye.
Jesus is not saying standards of right and wrong don’t exist.  He clearly says they do.  But what he’s telling us to do is take those standards of right and wrong, of good and evil, and apply them to our own lives.  Not take them and apply them to other people’s lives.  Not judge how well someone else is living up to those standards.  That’s for God to decide, not us.  What we’re supposed to do is focus on living up to those standards ourselves, regardless of what anyone else might do.
And it’s easy to see why Jesus would say this.  Because the bottom line is that the only person who I have the power to change is me.  I cannot change anyone else.  And that’s true of each one of us.  The only person we have the power to change is ourselves.  If someone else wants to change, we might be able to help them.  But we cannot change anyone who does not want to change.  The only person we can change is ourselves.  And as we’ve talked about before, even changing ourselves is pretty hard.  When we think about that, when we think about how hard it is for us to change ourselves, it’s pretty obvious that changing someone else is going to be pretty much impossible.
So our primary focus needs to be on our behavior.  Are we living up to Jesus’ standards?  Are we living lives that show we are followers of Jesus Christ?  Are we living humbly, forgiving others, loving our enemies, and doing all the other things Jesus told us to do?  Those are the things we need to focus on.  Not judgment.
But at the same time, none of us lives in isolation.  We deal with other people all the time in life.  Jesus said not to judge others, but if we don’t judge people what should we do?  Well, the answer is probably pretty obvious.  Treat them with kindness.  Treat them with understanding.  Treat them with caring.  Treat them with love.
But having said that, what does it actually look like?  What does it mean to say that we’re not going to judge people, that we’re going to treat them with kindness and understanding and love?  I mean, it sounds good in theory, but how does that play out in our relationships with real people?
I think it comes down to the last sentence in our reading for today.  It’s what we now commonly call the Golden Rule.  Jesus said, “In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.”
Remember what we talked about at the beginning of the message, how unpleasant it feels to be in a situation where someone is judging us.  If it’s unpleasant for us when someone is judging us, it’s going to be unpleasant for someone else when we judge them.  If we don’t want people to judge us, then we’d better not be judging other people, either.  
But that raises a question, right?  What do we do when we see someone heading down a wrong road?  What do we do when we see someone, especially someone we care about, doing things that the Bible clearly indicates are wrong?  We’re told not to judge them.  But does that mean we need to approve of what they do?  Does it mean we should not have any opinion whatsoever?  Does it mean that, if we have an opinion, we should keep it to ourselves?  What do we do?
It’s a tough question.  It really is.  What is the kind thing to do in that situation?  What is the loving thing to do?  How would you want someone to treat you, if they saw you doing those things?
An easy thing to do is to do nothing.  To just ignore the situation and let the person go ahead and do whatever they’re doing.  Another easy thing to do is to start talking about what a terrible person someone is for doing what they’re doing.  Those alternatives are easy, but neither of them strikes me as a particularly kind or loving thing to do.
I don’t think there is an easy way to handle this.  But here’s what I’ll tell you.  As I look back on my life, I can think of some times when someone loved me enough to come to me and tell me that what I was doing was not right, that it was not acceptable, and that I needed to change.  That was not an easy thing for either of us.  I’m sure it was not easy for them to say those things, and I know it was not easy for me to hear them.  I did not like it at all.  But after I thought about it for a while, I realized that what they were saying was right.  I did need to change.  And I’m grateful to them for loving me enough to tell me so.  What I experienced in those situations was not judgment.  It was love.  Love that cared enough about me to let me know that I needed to stop wandering away and get back on track.
Doing that is tough.  But love is not always easy.  Sometimes love requires us to do hard things, to do things that we’d rather not do, to take risks we’d rather not take.  But if what we feel is truly love, we’ll still do it.  And we’ll find a way to do that shows that it’s done from an attitude of love and kindness.  
            And another part of that love and kindness is not abandoning people if they choose not to change.  Because again, no one can be changed against their will.  It’s their choice.  And if they choose not to change, we need to let them know that we still love them anyway.  Not that we approve of what they’re doing.  But that we still love them, and that we’ll still be there for the when they need someone.
            That may not be easy, either.  But it’s how we’d want someone to treat us, right?  In those situations where someone loved me enough to tell me that I needed to change, if I’d chosen not to, I’d have wanted them to still care about me.  And if, at some point, things came crashing down and I had to admit they were right, I’d want them to still be there for me.  Not to say “I told you so”, not to tell me what an idiot I was and how I should’ve known better, but just to be there for me.  To let me know I was not alone and that they’d do what they could to help me pick up the pieces.
            Giving up judgment and loving people is not easy, because love is often not easy.  But it is rewarding.  If, as we always say, God is love, then loving people is the most God-like thing we’ll ever do.  So let’s give up judgment and treat people with kindness and love.  Not just for Lent, but for all our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment