Search This Blog

Thursday, August 17, 2017

What Can I Say?

So you all know about what happened in Charlottesville last weekend.  Lots of people have weighed in on it.  I’ve been wondering what, if anything, I should say.  I thought about not saying anything, for a few reasons.  

For one thing, as you know, I try not to get involved in political issues.  This may not be a purely political issue, but it certainly has political aspects to it, and those aspects seem to be becoming more and more prominent as the days go by.  

For another thing, as I said before, lots of people have weighed in on this issue.  I don’t know what I can say that hasn’t already been said many times.  I can’t really see how adding one more voice to the cacophony that was already going on will do any good.  

For a third thing, some (not all) of what I’ve heard and read came off as telling others what they have to think and how they have to feel.  As a result, it sounded rather self-righteous and holier-than-thou.  That’s not to say it was insincere, but arrogance is a sin, too, and it’s one that God seems to have a lot to say about.

So, since I’m not sure that I have anything useful to say, I just want to remind everyone, including myself, of Jesus’ words.  This is from the gospel of Luke.  It’s Luke 6:27-31.

But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

As you think about the events of last weekend, as you hear all the commentary about it, as you see it turned into a political football, as you decide what your reaction to all of this should be, remember the words of Jesus.  Make your decision accordingly.  I’ll try to do that, too.  If we follow Jesus’ words, we won’t have to worry about the sin of arrogance or any other sins.  When we follow Jesus, we’re always going in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment