Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Based in Love

This is the message from the Wednesday Lent service in the Gettysburg United Methodist church on March 16, 2016.  The Bible verses used are Luke 22:35-44.


            In these Wednesday services, we’ve been looking at the events that led up to Jesus dying on the cross.  And we’ve been talking about how Jesus had any number of chances to stop these events, to take a different course.  He did not have to die on the cross.  He did so willingly, and he did it out of love, love for you and me.  He did it because that was the way he could gain salvation for us and for everyone who believes in Jesus as their Savior.
            We talked last week about how Jesus could have stopped Judas, but instead let him go and almost gave him his blessing, telling him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.”  Now, knowing that Judas has gone to get the authorities to arrest Jesus, Jesus and the disciples go to the Mount of Olives.
            And here’s something that I don’t know if I’ve ever really thought about before.  Luke tells us that “Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives.  In other words, this was an established pattern for Jesus, to go out to the Mount of Olives.  Going there was something he usually did.  What that means is that Judas knew where Jesus was going to go. 
And Jesus knew Judas would know that.  In other words, Jesus deliberately went to a place that would make it easy for Judas and the authorities to find him and arrest him.  He did not have to do that.  He could’ve gone somewhere else.  He could’ve gone into hiding.  He could’ve left town completely.  But Jesus did not do any of those things.  Instead, he went right where Judas would expect him to go, right where Judas and the authorities could find him.
Jesus goes out there to pray.  And sure enough, here comes Judas, bringing what’s described as “a crowd” with him.  And people who are described as “Jesus’ followers” see what’s going on.
Now, in picturing this, we have no idea how many people there were on either side.  But it sounds like both sides are ready to rumble.  Jesus’ followers are.  They say, “Lord, should we attack with our swords?”  In fact, one of them does just that, attacking the servant of the high priest and cutting off his right ear.
This sounds like a situation where all kinds of stuff is about to break lose.  It sounds like it could be complete chaos.  It could be a riot.  And of course, in that kind of a riot, Jesus could easily have gotten away.  There would’ve been all kinds of mayhem left behind, and some people probably would’ve been killed, but Jesus could’ve saved himself quite easily.
But Jesus won’t allow it.  He says, “No more of this!”  And he heals the servant.  Then he says to the authorities, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs?”  And he goes off with them quietly.
I try to imagine how Jesus would’ve felt at this point.  Scared, of course.  We heard how he had prayed that God the Father spare him from this if there was some other way.  We heard that he was praying so hard that the sweat was pouring from him like drops of blood.  Jesus knew how hard this was going to be.  Even though he was doing it willingly, he was not looking forward to it at all.
But more than that, I think Jesus probably felt sad.  For a few reasons, I suppose.  He was sad to be leaving the disciples.  He was sad that he had so little time left on the earth.  But I don’t think either of those reasons was the main reason he was sad.  I think Jesus was sad mostly because, after all this time, nobody really seemed to understand why he was on earth and what he was doing.  He had spent years trying to explain it to people, and it seemed like nobody got it at all.
Certainly the authorities did not.  They came, as we’re told, “with swords and clubs”.  They were expecting a fight.  Maybe Jesus’ behavior at the temple, where he overturned tables and went after people with a whip, had them scared.  We don’t know.
But what must have saddened and disappointed Jesus most of all is the way his followers reacted.  They pulled out their swords.  They seemed to want a fight.  Before the authorities even do anything, they ask, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?”  It sounds like they’re almost eager to have a chance to attack, to go on offense, to wipe out these Jewish and Roman authorities and take over.
When Jesus said those words, “Am I leading a rebellion”, I wonder if he might have been speaking as much to his own followers as he was the authorities.  It’s understandable why the authorities might think he was leading a rebellion.  Jesus had said and done a lot of things that upset the applecart.  If you took his statements and actions out of context, and did not understand the meaning behind them, it would be easy to understand why the authorities would think Jesus might, in fact, be leading a rebellion.
But Jesus’ followers.  The disciples and the other people around him.  They should’ve understood that this was not about an attack.  Jesus was the one who had told them to love their enemies.  He was the one who had told them to pray for people who were persecuting them.  He was the one who had told them that if someone hits you on the cheek, turn the other cheek toward him.  Love your neighbor as yourself, the Good Samaritan, a new command I give you:  love one another—did none of this mean anything to them?  Did none of it sink in?  Had Jesus just been wasting his breath for three years?  Did none of his followers understand that he was not about fighting and violence, that he was about love?
But then, how much do we understand it now?  How many of us really love our enemies?  How many of us pray for people who persecute us?  How many of us would really turn the other cheek?  How many of us really love our neighbors as ourselves?
These are not rhetorical questions.  And I’m not asking them in a judgmental way, because it’s not for me to judge you.  Maybe you do all those things, I don’t know.  But I know that I don’t always do all those things.  I might do some of them, sometimes.  I might, on occasion, pray for people who persecute me.  I might, on a good day, love my neighbor as myself.  But I certainly don’t do any of them all the time.  They’re things I struggle with.  I know I should do them, but a lot of times I don’t.
Imagine yourself there with Jesus at the Mount of Olives.  What would you have done?  What would I have done?  Would I have just allowed Judas to come up, to lead the authorities to Jesus?  Would I have just stood there and watched them grab Jesus and take him away?  Would I have meekly submitted to the authorities?  Or would I have pulled out my sword and taken the fight to them, and urged the rest of Jesus’ followers to do the same?
Now, put this into our current context.  There are a lot of people these days who say Christianity is under attack.  There are some places where the attack is real and physical.  There are Christians in the Middle East and elsewhere who are being brutally killed for no more reason than that they state that they are Christians and refuse to deny Jesus.  That’s just reality, and we need to keep those Christians in our prayers always.
But there are people who say Christianity is under attack here in the United States, too.  Not in the same way.  But it’s not hard to find people who will criticize us just for being Christians.  It’s not hard to find people who will make fun of us and ridicule us for our faith in Jesus.  And it’s not hard to find people who want to get rid of any mention of God and Jesus in public, other than as swear words.  There are people who will tolerate our Christian faith, so far, but only if we keep it to ourselves.  And there are some who say that, as Christians, we need to fight back.  In fact, some say that if we don’t, Christianity itself may no longer exist.
So, we think about that.  And we think about what Jesus told us to do, not just the statements I’ve mentioned here, but all of Jesus’ teachings.  And we’re left with the question:  what would Jesus do?  And what would Jesus tell us to do?
Well, as you may have noticed, I’m not Jesus.  So I’m not going to tell you the answer.  I don’t think it would serve any purpose anyway, because I really cannot give you “the answer”.  The most I could do is give you my opinion.  And my opinion is no more valid than yours.
But I do ask you to think about it.  And as you do, I ask you to remember two quotes from Jesus, two quotes you probably already know.  Number one is from Matthew twenty-two, thirty-seven through thirty-nine.  Jesus is asked what the greatest commandment is.  He answers, “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”  That’s the first quote.  Here’s the second, from John thirteen, thirty-four and thirty-five:  “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
As I said, I don’t claim to have the answer to what Jesus would say.  But I do know what the basis of Jesus’ answer would be.  Jesus’ answer would be based in love.
And so, as we form our opinions and decide how to live our lives, not just in the situations we’ve discussed tonight but in all aspects of our lives, let’s make sure our opinions and decisions are based in love.  Because at the end of the day, what the Apostle Paul told us is still true.  In the end, three things remain:  faith, hope, and love.  And the greatest of these is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment