Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Not Now, God

This is the message given in the United Methodist churches of the Wheatland Parish on Sunday, November 8, 2015.  The Bible verses are Haggai 1:1-15.


We’re starting to get close to the end of our sermon series on the Minor Prophets, a sermon series we call “Who Are These Guys?”  Today we look at the prophet Haggai.
            And as we read from Haggai, you may have noticed something that makes him different from the other Minor Prophets we’ve looked at.  Haggai does not have a message of doom and destruction.  He is not here to tell everyone that if they don’t change their ways and ask God’s forgiveness God’s going to wipe them out.  Haggai has a more specific message for a more specific situation.  But the reason Haggai’s message is in the Bible is that his specific message is one we can also apply in our lives.
            To do that, though, we need to know a little about the specific situation that influenced Haggai’s message.  Haggai gave his message in 520 B. C.  That’s another difference with Haggai—scholars are pretty sure they know right about when it was that Haggai spoke.  At this time, there was very little territory left in the nation of Israel.  All there was, was Judah, which included Jerusalem and a little territory around it.  That was about it.
            Judah was a part of the Persian Empire, but it had a certain amount of independence.  As often happened in Old Testament times, the kings and rulers, whoever they happened to be, did not care much what the people of Israel did as long as they kept paying taxes and did not cause any trouble.  And in fact, about fifteen or twenty years earlier, the king, King Cyrus had explicitly given permission to the Israelites, who had been in exile, to go back to Jerusalem and rebuild the temple, the house of God, which had been torn down and destroyed about forty or fifty years before that.
            So, the people of Israel went back to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple.  And they got started, and things went okay for a while.  But then, the people thought, “You know, we need to have places to live ourselves.”  And so they started building houses.  And then the people thought, “You know, we need to make sure we have enough to eat.”  And so they started planting crops.  And then the people thought, “You know, we need to make some money so we can buy the stuff we cannot make or build for ourselves.”  And so they started getting jobs.  And the rebuilding of the temple got delayed, and then it got delayed again, and then it got delayed some more, and pretty soon everybody just forgot about rebuilding the temple and went about their daily lives.
            Now, notice something about that.  No one ever made a decision that they were not going to rebuild the temple.  In fact, if you’d asked them, most of the people probably would’ve said, “You know, we do need to get back to that.  We really do need to get back to rebuilding the temple.  We should do that.”  And then, they’d have gone back to going about their business.
            Now, it’s not that the people were lying.  They really meant what they said.  They knew, on some level, that they really should rebuild the temple.  They knew that was what God wanted them to do.  They knew that was the whole reason they’d been sent back to Jerusalem in the first place.  But they did not let that knowledge impact their lives in any significant way.  They knew rebuilding the temple was the right thing to do.  But they had no intention of actually doing it.
            Any of that sound familiar?  I suspect it does.  How many times do we know what the right thing to do is, but have no intention of actually doing it?  How many times do we know what we should do, what God wants us to do, but just not let that knowledge impact our lives in any significant way?
            There are a lot of times in our lives where we do exactly what the people of Israel did.  We don’t make a conscious decision to disobey God.  We just think, “You know, I really need to do this first.”  Then we think, “You know, I really need to get that taken care of first.”  Then we think, “You know, I need to take care of myself and my family first.”
            A lot of the time, at least, we don’t make a conscious decision to go away from God.  In fact, if we were asked, we’d say, “You know, I do need to get back to God.  I really do need to get back to church and taking time for prayer and all that stuff.  I really should do that.”  And then, we go about our business.  Again, we know what we should do.  We just have no intention of actually doing it.
            That’s pretty much where the people of Israel were.  And then Haggai comes along.  And God, speaking through Haggai, basically asks the people of Israel the Dr. Phil question.  “How’s that workin’ for you?”  And the answer, apparently, is “Not very well.”  Listen to what God, speaking through Haggai, says, “Give careful thought to your ways.  You have planted much, but have harvested little.  You eat, but you never have enough.  You drink, but never have your fill.  You put on clothes, but are not warm.  You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it….You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little.  What you brought home, I blew away.  Why?  Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with his own house.”
            The people of Israel did exactly what you and I do so often.  They believed in God.  But they did not trust God.  They believed in God, but they believed they had to take care of themselves.  They believed in God, but they did not put doing God’s work first.  They put themselves first.  They took care of themselves first, and they only gave God any time, money, or ability they had left over.
            It’s such an easy trap to fall into.  We don’t disobey God, at least not intentionally.  We just say, “Not now, God.”  Not now.  First I need to get my schooling taken care of.  Then I need to get a job.  Then I need to get some stuff, a car, a house, that sort of thing.  Then I need to meet someone and get married.  Then I need to start a family and make sure that family is provided for.  Oh, and I need to make sure I take care of myself in retirement, too.  I’m going to do what you want, God, really I am.  Just not right now.  I have to take care of all these other things first.  You know how it is, God.  You understand, right?
            And God does understand.  What God understands is that we’re putting ourselves in first place, and we’re putting God in second place.  In fact, sometimes we put God in third or fourth or fifth place.  And it works out for us about the way it worked out for the people of Israel.  Not very well.  We keep thinking that after we’re done with all these other things we’ll serve God, but somehow all these other things never get done.  There’s always something else to do, something else we need to take care of, something else we need to finish first.  When we try to take care of our needs and our wants by ourselves, we never get it done.  We always have more needs and more wants.  “Not now” becomes “not ever”.  That may not be a conscious decision we make, but that’s how it works out.
            So what do we do?  Well, first we have to decide whether we really want to do anything.  And again, that comes down to a question of trust.  Do we trust that, if we put God first, God will take care of us?  Or do we think we have to take care of ourselves?
            That’s the first step.  And it’s the most important step.  Because if we’re not willing to trust God enough to put God first, none of the rest of it matters.  As long as we keep thinking that we’ll get around to serving God later, as long as we keep thinking we have to take care of ourselves first, nothing else is going to matter.  Any other steps are going to be irrelevant if we don’t take that first one.  If we’re not willing to trust God enough to put God first, we’ll never take any of the other steps.
            How do we trust God enough to take that first step?  Well, I don’t have the whole answer.  All I can tell you, really, is what I try to do.  And in saying this, please understand that I am NOT trying to put myself forward as the role model that everyone should follow.  There are plenty of times I don’t trust God enough.  There are plenty of times I don’t put God first.  This is not me saying I have it all figured out and you don’t, not by any stretch.  I struggle with this as much as anyone.
            But this is the best way I’ve found to try to overcome it.  Pray.  Pray about this consistently.  Pray about it every day.  Pray that God will put God’s spirit in your heart, in your soul, in your mind, and in your life.
            And the thing is that, even as I pray this, I know that I’m going to resist it.  If God starts to put God’s spirit in my heart, in my soul, in my mind, in my life, I’m going to resist.  I’m going to throw up roadblocks.  But I pray it anyway.  I pray for God to overcome my resistance and put God’s spirit in my heart and in my soul and in my mind and in my life anyway.
            I’ve been doing that for some time now.  Has it worked?  Not perfectly, that’s for sure.  You all know that.  You know there are still plenty of times I put myself first.  You know there are plenty of times I go my own way.  And if you don’t know it, ask Wanda.  She can give you plenty of examples of me doing that.
            But I think I’m better than I used to be.  I’m still a long way from where I should be, but I’m better than I used to be.  And I think if you pray for God to put God’s spirit in your heart, in your soul, in your mind, in your life, it’ll help you, too.  You’ll find that you do trust God more.  You’ll find that, sometimes at least, you don’t say, “Not now, God” and instead put God first.
            God wants to take care of us.  And if we’ll just get out of our own way and put God first in our lives, God will take care of us.  Let’s stop saying, “Not now, God.”  Let’s trust God now.

No comments:

Post a Comment