Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Wait Problem

The message given in the United Methodist churches of the Wheatland Parish on Sunday, October 25, 2015.  The Bible verses used are Habakkuk 1:12--2:3.


            We are continuing our sermon series on the Minor Prophets, “Who Are These Guys?”  Today, we look at the book of Habakkuk.
            You’ve probably noticed, as we go through these minor prophets, that I keep saying, “We really don’t know much about this prophet.”  Today we take that to the max, because we pretty much know nothing about Habakkuk.  We really don’t even know how to pronounce his name.  Some people pronounce in HaBAKKuk while others pronounce it HABakkuk.  I remember when I was in seminary, I asked my professor what the correct pronunciation was, thinking he would surely know, and he told me, “We really have no idea.”  In fact, we don’t even know whether that was his real name.  Some think it may have been a nickname that comes from an Akkadian word “hambakuku”, which is the name of a plant.  Why he’d have had a nickname that was the name of a plant is not explained.
            Anyway, HaBAKKuk—or HABakkuk—delivered his message around 700 B. C., people think.  Its form is different from the other minor prophets we’ve looked at, in that it’s not a message delivered to a certain group.  Instead, it’s a conversation between Habakkuk and God.  We got a little of that conversation in our Bible reading for today.
            Habakkuk starts the conversation off with a question.  It’s a question that people have struggled with for thousands of years, ever since we became people, really.  Habakkuk looks at the world, and he sees all kinds of things going wrong.  He says, “Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds…the law is paralyzed and justice never prevails.  The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted.”
            And then he asks the question.  It’s basically the same question almost all of us have asked at one time or another.  “Why do you make me look at injustice?  Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?...Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrongdoing.  Why then do you tolerate the treacherous?  Why are you silent while the wicked swallow up those more righteous than themselves?”
            Almost all of us have asked similar questions.  The worse things get, the more we ask them.  Sometimes we ask them in a world context.  “Why are Christians persecuted?  Why is there so much poverty in the world?”  Sometimes we ask them in a national context.  “Why are there things like school shootings and other violence?  Why is there so much divorce and so many social problems?”  Sometimes we ask them in a local context.  “Why are we in such a drought?  Why is there so much crime?”  Sometimes we ask them in a very personal context.  “Why can I not find a job?  How am I going to pay my bills?  Will I ever find someone to love me?”
            Those are not all the same questions Habakkuk asked, of course, and I’m not trying to say that they are.  The way they’re all similar, though, is that they all deal with situations we think are not right.  They deal with situations where we don’t think things should be the way they are, and we don’t understand why things are the way they are.  And we don’t feel like we can do anything about them.  And so we cry out to God.  We say, God, you see the situation here.  You cannot like it.  There’s no way you can approve of what’s going on.  So why don’t you do something about it?
            There are natural questions to ask.  And I want to emphasize that there’s nothing wrong with asking them.  In a way, they show our faith.  If our faith was weak, we’d give up on God.  But instead, by asking these questions, we’re really running toward God.  We’re saying, God, I know you’re there.  I know you’re all powerful.  I know you’re good.  I know you can do something about this.  But you’re not.  Why not?  I still believe in you.  I just don’t understand.
            That’s the situation Habakkuk was in.  He did not lose his faith.  He says, “Lord, are you not from everlasting?  My God, my Holy One, you will never die.”  Habakkuk never doubts that God is there.
            And in fact, Habakkuk’s faith is even stronger than that.  He not only has faith that God is there.  He fully expects God to give him an answer.  He says, “I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts.  I will look to see what he will say to me.”
            And God gives him an answer.  Kind of, anyway.  God says, “the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false.  Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come.”  In other words, God says, things are going to be okay.  I’m going to act.  It’s just not time yet.  The time will come.  Wait for it.  Be patient.  It will come.  I’ll take care of everything when the time is right.
            That answer satisfies Habakkuk.  Does it satisfy you?
            It’s hard.  It’s hard to find that answer satisfying.  And it’s understandable why.  It’s not just that we tend to be impatient people, although that’s part of it.  But it’s also because we see all kinds of people who are hurting right now.  We see all kinds of people who are suffering right now.  Sometimes it’s people who are very close to us who are suffering.  In fact, sometimes it’s us, ourselves, who are suffering and in pain.
            When we’re hurting, when we’re suffering, or when people who are very important to us are hurting and suffering, it’s pretty hard to be patient.  It’s pretty hard to hear God say “wait”.  It’s pretty hard to hear God say don’t worry, I’ll take care of it eventually, when the time is right.  We think right now is when the time is right.  We think, “I don’t want to hear about how things’ll be all right in some great glorious day that I may never live to see.  I want God to take some action now!”
            But so often, that’s not how it works.  So often, God does not take action now.  Sometimes God does, of course.  I’ve had prayers answered in a very short period of time.  Maybe you have, too.  It’s really cool when that does happen.  It’s an awesome feeling when we pray for something and then just a little while later we see God answer our prayer.  It can really strengthen our faith to have that happen.
            But so often, God says to us what God said to Habakkuk.  God says that God is going to do something, but God is waiting for the “appointed time.”  God says, “Wait for it.  It will surely come.”
            How do we handle that?  I think one really good way to handle it is to do what Habakkuk did.  You and I need to stand watch.  We need to look to see what God will say to us.  And we need to look to see what God will do.
            I think that’s really important, because sometimes, God’s answer does not come all at once.  Sometimes, God’s answer comes a little bit at a time.  It comes at various times and in various ways.  And if we’re not standing watch, if we’re not looking for God’s answer, we may not see it.  We’ll think God is not answering our prayer when in fact God did give us an answer, we just were not looking for it and we missed it.
            I’ve been saying for a couple of years now that I believe God is doing something special here in the Wheatland Parish.  I still believe that.  I still don’t know exactly what it is.  But I see signs of it.  I see it in the tremendous growth in our Faith Builders children’s program.  I see it in the beautiful addition to the church.  I see it in the willingness of the volunteers who helped at the Hunter’s Breakfast last week and are helping at the Harvest Festival this week.  I see it in the tremendous faith and loyalty of so many people here.  There are lots of other ways I see it, too.  There are so many ways in which we can see God doing something special here.  But we have to look for them in order to see them.
            There’s one other way that I see this, too.  I see it in the number of people in our community who are not going to church anywhere.  I see it in the number of kids in our community who are not going to church school anywhere.  And the reason I say that I can see God doing something special through those people is that Jesus told us to go and make disciples of all nations.  Too many times we think of that as meaning we should be missionaries and go half-way around the world.  There’s nothing wrong with that, but we don’t have to do that.  We can be missionaries right here, in our own community.  These people who are not going to church anywhere, and these kids who are not going to church school anywhere, are some of the people we’ve been praying for in our prayer emphases. 
If we keep praying, if we stay faithful to God, if we do our best and trust God, God is going to answer our prayers.  The answer may not come when we wanted it to.  The answer may not come the way we wanted it to.  But it will surely come.  It’s already coming.  God is already answering our prayers.  We just need to keep watch and look for the answer, so we can see it when it starts to come.
            It’s hard to wait.  The worse things seem to be, the harder it is.  But if we stay faithful, if we do our best, and if we keep watch, we’ll see that God hears our prayers, that God is still in control, and that God will respond.  God will take care of everything when the time is right.  And when God does, it’s going to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment