Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2015

I Believe In You

            Pretty soon, our church school programs will be starting again.  In Gettysburg, that means Faith Builders, our Wednesday after-school program.  It starts September 9.  In Onida, that means Sunday School, which is held during the worship service.  It starts September 13.

            Both of those programs experienced substantial growth last year.  While I can’t prove it, I think one of the reasons why is that we have been praying about it.  In the spring of 2014, we started a prayer emphasis on reaching the children of our parish, especially those children who are not currently going to church or church school anywhere.  I believe that God answered our prayers.

            I also believe that God blessed our efforts.  God did not simply wave a magic wand and bring those children to our churches.  The people of our churches worked at it.  They invited people.  They encouraged people.  They showed love to people.  They were there to teach.  They were there to help.  God saw the effort that so many people were putting forth to reach the children of our parish, and God blessed that effort.

            Will we see more growth this year?  It’s certainly possible.  We know there are plenty more kids out there who are still not going to church or church school anywhere.  And we know God wants us to reach those children.

            And when I say “us”, I don’t necessarily mean us as United Methodists.  I mean us as Christians.  I assume we’re not the only church trying to reach those children.  I certainly hope we’re not.  I hope, and assume, that all the Christian churches of our parish are trying to reach those children.  And I hope they’re all successful.  After all, we’re not in competition with those churches.  We’re all on the same team.  Our goal is not to make United Methodists.  Our goal is make Christians.  Our goal is to make disciples of Jesus Christ.

            I don’t know whether we’ll see more growth this year.  But I believe that we will.  I believe it for two reasons.

            One, I believe in God.  As I said, I believe God wants us to reach those children.  God could do it without us, of course—God can do anything—but God chooses to work in and through us.

            And that brings me to the second reason I believe we’ll see growth this year.  I believe in you.  I believe in the people of this parish.

            I believe that you want us to reach those children.  I believe that you’re praying for us to reach them.  I also believe you’re praying for chances to do something about it.  I believe that you have the desire to reach those children and that you are determined to reach them.  I believe we are all willing to be open to go where God’s Spirit is leading us to go and to do what God’s Spirit is leading us to do.  If we do that, I don’t see any reason we shouldn’t continue to see growth in our children’s programs.

            Now, don’t misunderstand me.  I’m not putting God to the test here.  God does things in God’s way and in God’s time.  If we don’t see growth in our children’s programs this year, it won’t mean God let us down.  It may mean that God knows we’re not ready for that growth just yet.  It may meant that God knows the children, and their parents, aren’t quite ready yet.  It may mean that God has a different plan in mind for us to reach those children.  It may mean a lot of things.

            But here’s what I know.  Whenever I have prayed that I would get more chances to serve God, God has always answered that prayer and given me those chances.  If we all pray for chances to reach the children of our parish, I am convinced that God will answer that prayer and give us those chances.  The answer may not come in the way we expected.  But it will certainly come.

            So let’s pray that God will give us chances to serve by reaching the children of our parish for God.  If we all do that, I am confident that it will happen.  I’m confident because I believe in God.  And I believe in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment