Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Giving It Up

This article first appeared in the February, 2015 edition of the Wheatland Parish newsletter.


            Ash Wednesday is February 18.  That means that we have once again come to the season of Lent.

            I’ve said this before, but I’ve never really gotten into the whole “give up something for Lent” deal.  Maybe that’s a lousy thing for a pastor to admit, but it’s the truth.  I’ve just never seen the point of it.  I know it’s supposed to bring us closer to God, and I know it’s supposed to remind us of the sacrifice Jesus made for us.  If it does that for you, that’s great.  I’m certainly not criticizing people who give up things for Lent.  Anything that brings us closer to God is all for the good.

            It’s just never done that for me.  Anything I might give up seems so far removed from the sacrifice that Jesus made for us as to make the comparison ludicrous.  Jesus gave up his earthly life in a very painful way, I give up Diet Coke for several weeks.  It seems to me like an insult to the Lord to suggest that the one has anything at all to do with the other.

            So, as many of you know, last year I did something to try to give it a point.  I gave up Diet Coke, but I took the money I saved by not drinking Diet Coke and put it toward a local project in each of our churches.  I also challenged each of you to do something similar:  give up something and give the money saved toward a local project.  In Gettysburg, we chose the addition to the church.  In Onida, it was the swimming pool project.  In Agar, it was the local fire department.

            With Lent on the horizon, I’m going to do it again.  I’m again going to give up Diet Coke and put the money saved toward a local project.  And again, I’m challenging you to do the same, but with a twist.  If you want to give up something and put them toward the chosen project, that’s great.  That’s what I’d really prefer you to do.  But if you choose not to give anything up, you can still participate by pledging to match whatever money I save from not drinking Diet Coke.

            In Gettysburg, we’ll again put the money toward the church addition.  It has not yet been determined, at this writing, where the money will go in Onida or Agar.  We’ll let you know once we decide.

            In one other change from last year, I’m going to pass around a sign-up sheet where you can, if you choose, agree to participate in this and indicate whether you are going to give something up yourself or simply match whatever money I save.  You can, if you choose, participate without signing up.  Some people like to keep private that they are giving something up for Lent.  I understand that, and I respect that. 

The reason for the sign-up sheet is really the same reason I choose to make what I’m giving up public:  accountability.  If I don’t tell anyone that I’ve given up Diet Coke for Lent, I can sneak one in once in a while and no one will know.  But if I make a big deal out of giving up Diet Coke, I know people will be watching me.  I know that if I buy one at the ball game, or at a convenience store, or even at the grocery store, people are going to notice.  They’re going to call me out on it.  Knowing that helps me not cheat.  It keeps me from being led into temptation, you might say.  And it might help you that way, too.

So let’s give something up for Lent, and let’s give the money we save toward a good cause.  Will that make us feel closer to God?  I don’t know.  It will, at the least, do something good.  And who knows?   Sometimes, doing good is one of the ways we can feel closer to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment