Search This Blog

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Attitude Adjustment

This is the message given in the Wheatland Parish Sunday, November 16, 2014.  The Bible verses are 2 Corinthians 9:6-15.
            We’re doing a sermon series called “Give It Up!”, talking about giving.  We’ve talked about why God wants us to give and how we determine how much we’re supposed to give.  But there’s something else we need to talk about, and that’s our attitude toward giving.
Sometimes, people give out of a feeling of duty or obligation.  We know we’re supposed to give to God, we know we’re supposed to give to the church, and so we do.  Now, that’s not wrong, exactly.  It’s not a sin or anything if we do that.  But it’s not the best attitude, either.  It’s not really an attitude that honors God.  God wants us to give lovingly, not grudgingly.  And that’s true whether we’re talking about giving money, giving time, giving talent, or giving anything else that we may give.
Our Bible reading for today included a line many of you have heard before.  “God loves a cheerful giver.”  Now, don’t take that the wrong way.  God loves us know matter what.  But God does appreciate it when we give cheerfully, out of love, rather than reluctantly, out of duty or fear or for some other reason.
I’ll show you what I mean.  Suppose Wanda wants me to do something.  And suppose I really don’t feel like doing it.  Hard to believe, I know, but that does happen once in a while.  So suppose Wanda asks me to do something, and I really don’t feel like doing it.  So, first, I put it off for a while.  And Wanda has to keep after me about it.  And she does.  And eventually, I know I’m going to have to do this thing, so I do.  I do it.  I do it, but I also make clear to Wanda that I really don’t want to do it.  I sigh.  I get up slowly.  I grumble about it.  I don’t even try to do it well, I’m just trying to get it over with.  And when it’s done I say something like, “Well, there, I did it.  Are you happy now?”
Well, of course, the answer to that question is no.  Wanda’s not going to be happy at all.  But why not?  I did what she wanted me to do.  Why is she not happy about it?
But suppose something different.  Suppose Wanda wants me to do something, and I got up right away and said, “Sure.  No problem.  Happy to do it.”  And I do it, and I do it as well as I can.  And when I’m done, I say something like, “As long as I’m up, is there anything else I can do for you?”
Which way do you think Wanda’s going to be happier, the first way or the second way?  Well, it’s obvious, right?  She’s going to be much happier if I show that I’m happy to do things for her than she is if I show that I really don’t want to do them.  But why?  Either way, the thing gets done, right?  What difference does my attitude about it make?
The answer is that it makes all the difference in the world.  If I’m do something for Wanda cheerfully and happily, Wanda feels loved.  She feels honored and respected.  She feels good about herself.  She feels good about our marriage.  Depending on what it is I’ve done, that good feeling might help carry her through the whole day.  But if I do something for Wanda grumpily and grudgingly, Wanda does not feel that way at all.  She does not feel loved.  She does not feel respected.  She does not feel good about herself and she does not feel good about our marriage.  And those feelings might stay with her the whole day, too.
Now, Wanda is not God.  Sorry, dear, I don’t mean that as an insult or anything, but, you know, you’re not.  God has more understanding than we humans do, and God is probably not as easily hurt as we human beings are.  But still, we’re told that we’re created in God’s image.  And God created us with emotions.  So it makes sense that God would have a lot of the same emotions that we have.
And in fact, the Bible tells us that.  It tells us that some things please God and others do not.  It tells us that God feels anger and jealousy.  It also tells us that God feels joy and love.  It tells us that God feels grief and compassion and a variety of other things.
I’m not saying that God reacts to things in the same way that we human beings do.  But God does have emotions.  And I have to think that God reacts to our attitudes toward giving in a way that’s somewhat similar to the way Wanda does and the way you and I do.  When we do things for God cheerfully and happily, God feels our love.  God is honored and respected.  When we do things for God reluctantly and grudgingly, just because we think we have to, we are not showing God our love, because we’re not doing it out of love.  God is not honored and respected when we do things just because we think we have to.
Now, again, either way, God still loves us.  I’m not saying it’s necessarily a sin if we do things reluctantly, just because we think we have to.  But you know, just like the fact that something is legal does not make it right, the fact that something may not be a sin does not mean it’s a good thing to do.  God asks more of us than just that we not actively sin.  God asks that we love God and that we love others.  God asks that we serve God and serve others as much as we can.  God asks that we not just meet the minimum requirement of not actively sinning.  God asks that we be the best people we can be.  Not that we be perfect--God knows better than to think we’re capable of being perfect.  But God asks us to do the best we can to be the loving, caring, giving people God created us to be.
I want to go back to what I said about Wanda and me.  When I do something for Wanda with the right attitude, when she feels loved and honored and respected, what’s likely to happen?  She’s likely to want to do something for me, too.  Not because she has to, not because she’s paying me back for anything, but because she wants to.  It’s not that Wanda will stop loving me if I do things grudgingly instead of lovingly.  It’s just that the more love I show to Wanda, the more love Wanda’s likely to want to show to me.  That’s just the way a relationship works.
And it’s the somewhat the way our relationship with God works, too.  That’s what our reading meant when it said God would bless us when we give cheerfully.  If we show love and honor and respect to God, God is likely to want to help us.  Not because God has to.  We’re not making a deal with God that if we do things for God, God has to do things for us.  God does not have to do anything.  And it’s not that God will stop loving us if we do things grudgingly instead of lovingly.  We’re told that there’s nothing that can ever separate us from God’s love.  But if we do things that are pleasing to God, if we show love and honor and respect to God, we are likely to receive blessings from God.
And there’s one more thing.  It’s no great credit to me when I do things for Wanda cheerfully and happily.  That’s what I should do.  Wanda deserves that.  Wanda deserves to get love and honor and respect from me.  I am not doing something great when I do something that gives her that love and honor and respect.  I’m just giving Wanda what she deserves.
And in the same way, it’s no great credit to us when we do things for God cheerfully and happily.  That’s what we should do.  God deserves that.  God deserves to get love and honor and respect from us.  We’re not doing something great when we show God that love and honor and respect.  We’re just giving God what God deserves.
But still, just like Wanda appreciates it, so does God.  And God will bless us for doing it.  Those blessings may or may not come in the way expected.  They may or may not come in the way we hoped.  Just like we said last week about tithing, this is not some way to get God to make us rich.  But there are a lot of ways God can bless us, and a lot of the really good ones have nothing to do with money or possessions.
            So the next time we think about giving to God, whether we’re thinking about giving money or time or talent or whatever it is we’re thinking about giving, let’s think about what God deserves.  And let’s give to God cheerfully and happily.  Let’s give to God in a way that shows God love and honor and respect.  God will appreciate it.  And God deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment