Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2014

Steppin' Out With My Pastor

This article originally appeared in the May, 2014 edition of the Wheatland Parish newsletter.

            As many of you know, the people of the Gettysburg church voted in April to borrow up $200,000, if necessary, in order to be able to start construction on the addition to the Gettysburg church.  We hope to begin construction later in May.

            Obviously, we’d prefer to not borrow $200,000.  We’d prefer not to borrow anything, but if we do have to borrow, we want the amount borrowed to be as small as possible.  So we will continue to seek donations, and we will continue to hold fundraising events.  I want to use this space to tell you about one of those fundraising events.

            As part of the conference’s wellness program, I wear a pedometer.  This measures the number of steps I take every day.  I plug the pedometer into a computer every week or so, and the computer tells me how many steps I’ve taken each day during that week.

            So, here’s the fundraiser.  I call it “Steppin’ Out With Pastor Jeff”.  I am asking people to pledge an amount of their choosing for every thousand steps I take from Memorial Day (the unofficial start of the summer) through Labor Day (the unofficial end).  All the money raised will go to the Gettysburg construction fund.

            To give you an idea of how much to pledge, the computer tells me that I take an average of about 8,500 steps per day.  The calendar tells me that there are about one hundred days between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  So, here’s a handy chart, based on me staying on that pace of 8,500 steps per day:

Pledge per thousand steps                                          Total pledged for the summer

$0.01                                                                           $8.50

$0.10                                                                           $85.00

$0.50                                                                           $425.00

$1.00                                                                           $850.00

$5.00                                                                           $4,250.00

$10.00                                                                         $8,500.00

$20.00                                                                         $17,000.00

$50.00                                                                         $42,500.00

$100.00                                                                       $85,000.00

$500.00                                                                       $425,000.00

$1,000.00                                                                    $850,000.00

            Your choices are not limited to the amounts listed, of course.  You can pledge any amount you want to.  We’ll be handing out a pledge sheet in the Gettysburg church, but of course, pledging is strictly voluntary.  We’re also not limiting pledges to the Gettysburg church.  If anyone reading this wants to make a pledge to the Gettysburg construction fund, it will be gratefully accepted.


            I plan to provide frequent updates on my steps on facebook and twitter.  I’ll also give you updates every Sunday in church, and monthly in the newsletter.  Help me get more exercise, get into better shape, and support the Gettysburg church addition.  Let’s get this done!

No comments:

Post a Comment