Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Middle-Aged Man Meets World

One of my favorite authors is Douglas Adams. Adams once had this to say about how we tend to view the world as we age:

            "Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty- five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Well, I'm quite a bit older than thirty-five, but I do try to keep up with the modern world. See, whether we like it or not, the world keeps moving. It keeps changing. We can choose to step out of it, we can choose to stand on the sidelines if we want to, but that won't stop the world. It's going to keep moving, and if we don't move with it, we'll be left behind.

So, I try to keep up. For example, while I sometimes listen to the music of my generation, I also try to listen to current music. Not just current Christian music, either—I listen to current country music and current pop music sometimes. Some of it I like, some of it I don't but that's true of just about every type of music.

It's not just music, though. I try to keep up with current trends in communication, too. I have a blog. I'm on facebook. I think these things are important. As Christians, we have a mission from Jesus to spread the gospel to all nations. It seems to me that, if we're serious about fulfilling that mission, we need to take advantage of every method possible of spreading the gospel. That includes blogging and using facebook.

It also includes twitter. I've been on twitter, theoretically, for some time. I've used it sporadically. However, I've never quite known what to do with it. I don't know quite what to post there. As a result, I have very few followers on twitter, and frankly, I haven't been able to give people very good reasons why they should follow me.

But I'm going to keep at it, and I'm going to take being on twitter more seriously. It's a way of reaching people, and I need to take advantage of it. I invite you to follow me: @JeffSAdel. For now, I'm going to try to tweet inspirational thoughts or comments on life, both my own and those of others. If there are some things you'd like to see me tweeting, please let me know.

Keeping up with the modern world can be hard. On the other hand, it can keep us young. Learning new things keeps us young. Challenging ourselves keeps us young.

So follow me on twitter. Become my friend on facebook. And listen to some current pop music, too. Let's not choose to get left behind. The old days were great, but the new days are pretty great, too. Let's live in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment