Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

God in the Present Tense

Below is the message give for the Oahe Manor communion service January 17, 2013.  The Bible verses used are Isaiah 43:1-7.

Have you ever had a time where you felt like you’re really not very important? I have. I’ll bet most of us have. Even if we try to be upbeat and optimistic, we still have those times where we think, "Does it really matter that I’m here? If something was to happen to me today, would it really make any difference? Would very many people even notice or care that I was gone?

If you’re feeling that way, I want you to listen again to some of these words from the book of Isaiah. We’re told these are the actual words of God. They’re not the words of Isaiah. They’re not Isaiah’s interpretation of what God is trying to say. These are the actual words of God. Listen to them again:
I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned.Think about that. God knows your name. God calls you by name. You, and I, belong to God. We are God’s.

That’s incredible, you know. Think of who God is. This is the God that created the universe and everything in it. Yet that same God knows your name and my name. That same God claims possession of us. God says to you, and to me, "you are mine."

God goes on to explain what that means to us. God tells us that we, you and me, are under God’s protection. God says that no matter how bad things get, even when we get so overwhelmed with things that it feels like we’re drowning, God will still be there with us and will save us. God says that no matter how hard things get, even if it feels like we’re being overcome by a fire, God will still be there with us and will protect us.

God also explains why God does that. God says:
You are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give nations in exchange for you, and peoples in exchange for your life. Do not be afraid, for I am with you.
Think about that. You, and I, are precious to God. God honors us. God honors you, and God honors me.

Again, think about who God is. This is the almighty, everlasting God. This is the God who existed before the universe was created and will continue to be after the universe is gone. That same God honors us. God honors you, and God honors me.

Why does God do that? Because God loves us. God loves you, and God loves me. God loves you and me so much that God will give nations in exchange for any one of us.

It’s so incredible to think about. It’s so amazing to think about. And you know one of the most amazing things about this? It’s all present tense. In other words, God does not say "you used to be mine" or "you’re going to be mine." God says "you are mine." Just as you are, and just as I am. We don’t have to earn the right to be God’s. We just are, just the way we are.

In the same way, God does not say "you used to be precious and honored in my sight" or "you will be precious and honored in my sight someday, maybe, if you do the right things or live the right way." God says "you are precious and honored in my sight." God sees each of us, and of course God sees us for exactly who we are, the good and the bad. God sees us for exactly who we are, and God says that, just as we are, we are precious and honored in God’s sight.

I want you to think about that. I want you to feel it, to know it and remember it. I know life can be kind of hard in here sometimes. That’s not a criticism of anybody, but when you’re in here, I’m sure there are a lot of times when one day seems pretty much like another. I’m sure there are a lot of times when you’re reminded of all the things you used to be able to do but cannot do any more. That has to be hard sometimes. When you’re in that situation, it can be easy to feel like your best days are behind you and you’re not worth much any more.

It’s not true. God says you are precious. God honors you. God loves you. God does not honor you for who you used to be. God honors you for who you are. God did not used to consider you precious. God considers you precious now. God will not love you someday, after you go to heaven. God loves you now, today.

No matter how hard life gets, God promises not to let us overwhelm us. No matter how much pain we’re in, God promises to protect us. Because of that, we can do exactly what God tells us to do. We can not be afraid, because God is always with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment