Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Not Just 'Good Enough'

This is the message from the WOW (Worship on Wednesday) service in Gettysburg July 25, 2012.  The scripture is Luke 16:19-31.



            This is really a tough story for me to preach on.  It makes me kind of uncomfortable.  I’m not sure I understand it, and I’m not sure what to do with the parts I think I do understand.

We have basically two characters in the story, three if you count Abraham.  The main two characters are the rich man and Lazarus, the poor man.

And that’s really all we know about them.  We’re not even told the rich man’s name—he’s just identified as “the rich man.”  We know Lazarus’ name, we know he’s a beggar, and we know he had sores.  That’s all we know about them.  Then, we know they both die.  We know Lazarus goes to heaven, and the rich man goes to hell.

And when we read the story, it sounds like the only reason Lazarus went to heaven was that he was a beggar who had sores, and the only reason the rich man went to hell is because he was a rich man.  You know, a lot of times, when we hear this story explained, the person doing the explaining makes assumptions that are not in the text.  They assume that the rich man must have been evil, or greedy, or have cheated or stolen or done something unsavory to get his wealth.  They assume Lazarus must have been a wonderful fellow who just never got any breaks while he was alive.

Jesus did not say any of that, or if he did it’s not recorded.  We are not told that the rich man was evil or that he did anything wrong to get his money.  For all we know, he may have worked very hard and earned his success.  He may have treated people well.  He may have even tithed, given ten percent of his money to God.  I’m not saying he did that, but there’s nothing in Jesus’ story that says he did not.  We’re not told that the rich man did anything wrong in getting his money.

We also don’t know whether Lazarus was a wonderful fellow.  We don’t know if he was a nice guy at all.  He may have been a jerk.  He may have never had a good word to say to anybody.  Again, I’m not saying that’s true, but there’s nothing in Jesus’ story that says it’s false.  We’re not told that Lazarus ever did anything nice for anyone.

The only things that seem to matter in Jesus’ story are that the rich man was rich and that Lazarus was a beggar.  Listen to what Jesus has Abraham saying to the rich man.  “Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.”  The only reason we’re given for why the rich man is in hell is because he’d had a good life while he was on earth, and the only reason we’re given for why Lazarus is in heaven is because he had a bad life on earth.

Now, Jesus talked to a lot of poor people, and he had a lot of sympathy for them.  And remember, poor people back then did not get any government support or anything.  Begging was about the only thing a poor person could do, and it was not very profitable.  This kind of message would’ve given the poor people Jesus was talking to a lot of hope.  It would’ve made them feel like God did care about them, that God knew about their situation, and that they would get a reward in heaven.  It can give us hope, too, if we’re suffering in our lives on earth.

The thing that bothers me so much about this is that I feel like I have a lot more in common with the rich man than I have with Lazarus.  I mean, I’m not rich by our standards, but I’m certainly not in the Lazarus category, either.  I’ve never had to beg for anything.  I’ve always known I was going to have enough to eat every day.  I’ve always known I was going to have decent clothes to wear.  I’ve always known I was going to have a decent place to sleep. 

I’ve also always known that, if something happened to where I might not have one of those things, that there were people who’d help me.  I have a loving family, both on my side and on Wanda’s side, and I have friends who I know would not let me sleep on the street and would not let me starve, no matter how bad my personal situation might get.

Not only that, I’ve had a pretty wonderful life in a lot of ways.  I grew up in a loving family.  I have an incredible wife.  I had a career that I love.  I have wonderful people to work with.  I’ve been blessed in an awful lot of ways.  In many ways, I’ve received the good things in my lifetime, just like the rich man did.  Does that mean I’m going to receive bad things in the next life, like the rich man did?
           
Also, I wonder how to square this with all the times in the Bible where we’re told that our salvation depends on our faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior and on nothing else.  Because in this story, we’re not told anything about the faith of either the rich man or Lazarus.  We’re not told that Lazarus had faith and the rich man did not.  We’re told that the rich man went to hell because he’d gotten good things during his life, and Lazarus went to heaven because he’d gotten bad things during his life.  How does that make sense?
           
I don’t know that I have the answer, but I’ll tell you what I think.  Feel free to disagree.  As I was thinking about this, it occurred to me that, in a way, it’s easier for us to rely on God when we have nothing than it is when we have everything.  What I mean is that someone in Lazarus’ position has nothing, not even decent health, and most likely never will have anything.  In that situation, we sometimes throw ourselves on God’s mercy because there’s nothing else we can do.  We ask God to help us because we know that we have no ability to help ourselves and never will, and we know there’s no one else who’s going to help us either.  We turn to God for help because we have nowhere else to turn.
           
When we have some money of our own, though, we do have somewhere else to turn.  If we have a thousand dollars in the bank, we don’t have to rely on God for our next meal.  We can rely on ourselves.  If we have ten thousand dollars in the bank, there are a lot of things we don’t have to rely on God for, because we can do them ourselves.  If we have a hundred thousand dollars, there are even fewer things we have to rely on God for.  And if we have a million dollars, well, we probably don’t have to rely on God for much of anything.
           
I think this is what Jesus meant when he talked about how it’s easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get to heaven.  I don’t think he meant it literally, that it’s impossible for a rich man to go to heaven, but he meant that it’s awfully hard.  It’s hard because the more we have, the more likely we are to rely on ourselves, and the less likely we are to rely on God.
           
I don’t think this story means that everyone who gets good things while on earth will go to hell.  What I think it means is that the more blessings we have while we’re on earth, the more we can be tempted to believe that we’ve gotten those blessings because of our own goodness, rather than by God’s goodness.  The more blessings we have while we’re on earth, the more we’re tempted to take those blessings for granted, rather than thanking God for them.  The more blessings we have while we’re on earth, the more we’re tempted to have faith in ourselves, rather than having faith in God.
           
If we truly have faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior, our lives need to show that.  That’s true whether we have a lot or we have nothing.  The more we have, though, the more chances we have to do things that show our faith.  And, of course, the more Jesus asks us to do things that show our faith.
           
I’m not saying that you don’t do things that show your faith.  The point here is not to make anyone feel guilty.  But we can all do more.  I know I can.  Jesus does not want us to just do so much and say, “well, that’s good enough”.  That’s not what Jesus did when he was on earth.  Jesus did not settle for “good enough”.  Jesus does not want us to settle for “good enough”, either.
           
As I said, this is a tough scripture.  But it’s an important one.  As Jesus makes pretty clear, our life in eternity depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment